You must have a computer meeting these minimum requirements. However, we sincerely advise you to have a fully loaded, up-to-date desktop computer. If you don't have a computer you are comfortable with, please buy a desktop PC meeting these specifications. Laptops can also be used, but are not as good for posture and speed.
• Intel or AMD PC with 2GHz clock or better recommended
• At least 10 GB of hard drive is required for work
• Monitor SVGA- minimum of 800 x 600 resolution, 32-bit color or higher
• CD-ROM Drive 8X or higher.
• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM (256 MB or higher recommended)
• 56 KBPS modem (Broadband-DSL cable modem recommended)
• SoundBlaster-compatible, 16-bit or higher, sound card.
• Speakers with headset jack
• Available USB port for the foot pedal
• Headset: Single-prong transcription headset; iPhone or stereo headphones
• Windows Media for the sound files
• Cable or DSL high speed internet provider is best, satellite can also be used. "Cloud server" connections are not HIPAA compliant - please don't rely on "cloud" service.
• Microsoft Word 2007 or later versions. Use Times New Roman with #12 font size.
• You will need a sound file adapter. We suggest Express Scribe. It normally costs $40 - Transcription Version only! (Do not get the Dictation Version.)
You must have the latest version of Adobe Reader for the advanced lessons. You may also need Adobe Flash for some classes.
When you take Mentored Internship you may need Stedman's Electronic Medical Dictionary if the company requires it.
Windows 7 or Windows 8. Mac is accepted.
Computer with 300 MHz clock (2GHz or better recommended)
or Mac OS X 10.2 or better
Power PC G3, G4 or G5 processor (500 MHz or better recommended)
May 2013 - Microsoft has discontinued Vista. Some features may not work in the future. Also, Windows XP isn't supported by Microsoft. It will not be HIPAA compliant and won't be accepted for work. Both versions are adequate for training.
Foot Pedal – Medical transcription students receive a computerized foot pedal from Med Workshops which is plug and play. Digital voice recordings and cable internet transmission of voice files is required. This is the same tool you will be using at work.